I have finally got myself to properly build a GUI application for sending UDP packets. I am slowly developing a liking for processing, however I dislike their extremely minimal IDE. It could use a few features. That aside, it is still the easiest programming language to start with that has limitless potential. The application built I currently works, with a few caveats.
- Works on Windows XP only, Win7 won’t let me bind to multicast sockets for some
- reason, I’m still trying to figure out if this a Win7 or Java issue.
- Sends and Receives on two separate ports.
- Sends the strings ‘Zero’, ‘One’ and ‘Two’ to the multicast address, which means that any device on the network interface should receive it. I recommend using Wireshark to confirm this. Use filter UDP.Port==insert_port_number_here.
- Receives on multicast too.
And lastly have fun, I have also included a well commented and complete source code. I am currently using 2 libraries .